About Me

Florence, Arizona
Welcome to my blog. I am newly retired and eager to enjoy it all - decorating, shopping, cooking, travel and most crafts - paper crafts, stained glass, mosaic, mixed media, sketching, painting - you name it, I want to try it.
Powered by Blogger.

Tuesday, December 7, 2010

Metal Christmas Trays

Finally some time to play and post.  These are some small trays which I bought several months ago from a thrift store.  I just knew I'd be able to do something with them.  I recently saw a couple of pictures of altered vintage trays, so I just had to try these.  I think they are cute -- my biggest problem know is deciding whether I keep for myself or use as a present!

The trays were covered with a vintage-inspired paper from BoBunny.  It was so cute, I had a hard time covering it up!

This tray was embellished with a prima flower and leaves, scrap ribbon, an apple tree ornament, and TimHoltz clock hand.  The clock face was a scrap from my husband's stash of watch parts.  The red flourish was from my stash - it was white and I used a copic marker to color; I liked the way the marker did not cover it evenly - there are streaks of darker colors thru it.

This tray was embellished using lace ribbon - I stitched along one side of the ribbon and then pulled it into a circle, glued and embellished with golden colored gems, scrap lace, and a string of pearls.  The green flower is from my stash, and the keyhole and key are from Tim Holtz.

This tray was fun to decorate.  The larger cream rosette was cut from Tim Holtz's rosette die, and then embellished with a button.  "Dec 25" is from some loose stickers in my stash, as were the hearts and charm.  The package in the lower left corner is a button.  The tiny rosette was a strip cut 12" x 1" and scored on my MS score board every 1/4".  Then folded mountain-valley and gathered into a circle and embellished with another loose charm.

This tray has yellow ribbon from my stash and buttons which I absolutely love and had a hard time using (!) were from a thrift store.  The snowflake in between the button is from a MS punch, inked with brown ink.  The bottom right corner is an ornament from M's which I took apart and using my imagination I'm calling them "sugar plums" to match the paper!


THANKS FOR THE COMMENTS - someone asked the size of the trays.  They are 3 x 6 - I've been told they might be vintage appetizer plates.  They were stamped with a fruit design which I hated to cover up, but just couldn't decide what to do with them.  I don't think I would have felt comfortable putting food directly on them, so I like them this way!

4 comments:

  1. I love that paper!! All your little embellishments are too cute! Thanks for sharing some inspiration!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your "sugar plum" are too cute and I LOVE anything Tim Holtz, great job and man you have been BUSY!

    ReplyDelete
  3. These are absolutely adorable! The trays however don't look very big. What size are they?

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love the Christmas tree one the most but it is really hard to choose - they are all gorgeous! That paper is absolutely perfect for this project. ;)

    ReplyDelete